MidTown Living Neighborhoods & Historic Districts
Why We Love MidTown!
“We love the location, the trees and yards, and the older homes. We love being near the park and near downtown. We love our neighbors and the neighborly feel of the MidTown area.” - Ceil Bone
“Simple things like sidewalks, knowing your neighbors, access to schools, neighborhood shops and a grocery store in walking distance, and a lively, beautiful park are reasons why I love the area. It also helps that my work is just minutes from home!” - Bennie Newroth, Weracoba-St. Elmo
“I live less than a mile from where I grew up and just over a mile from where I work. MidTown gives me a sense of community and it’s as beautiful an area as there is in Columbus!” - Martha Nitcher Dodson, Hilton Heights
Six National Register Historic Districts—one of the largest contiguous districts in the country—form the
heart of MidTown. Tree-lined streets meander among ante-bellum estates, through 1930s and ‘40s
bungalow districts, parks, mid-20th-century ranch neighborhoods, and some of the city’s earliest and
recently revitalized shopping centers. Explore MidTown’s neighborhoods and historic districts, or look up
your Neighborhood Association.
Dinglewood Historic District
The Dinglewood Historic District—a small gem of a residential neighborhood— developed from an antebellum estate. In 1857, Colonel Joel Early Hurt purchased 30 acres of land for his house; the Italianate-style Dinglewood was completed in 1859. The estate remained intact until it was subdivided into single-family residential lots between 1917 and 1946. The neighborhood includes early 20th century residences, a privately-owned, central, circular park, and a city-owned park. The district includes fine examples of architectural styles including Italianate, English Vernacular Revival and Colonial Revival styles.
Peacock Woods-Dimon Circle Historic District
The development of The Peacock Woods-Dimon Circle Historic District began in 1922. John Francis Flournoy’s Peacock Woods subdivision comprises the northern half of the district, and Samuel Kelly Dimon’s Dimon Circle subdivision, the southern portion. Flournoy, a prominent and prolific Columbus developer, hired the nationally acclaimed landscape architect Earle S. Draper to design Peacock Woods as a picturesque neighborhood with curving streets and park-like settings. Dimon Circle was subdivided from Dimon’s family property in 1922. Additional lots were added to the development in 1928. The center of the district—known as Rock Park—was developed by Charles Frank Williams. The southwest portion—known as Wynnton Heights—was subdivided by Hezikiah Land. The district includes a broad range of architectural styles including Colonial Revival, Craftsman, English Vernacular Revival, Spanish Colonial Revival and one 1954 Contemporary-style Ranch House.
Weracoba-St. Elmo Historic District
The Weracoba-St.Elmo Historic District is an early- to mid-20th century residential, recreational, educational and commercial neighborhood. It contains two antebellum houses and one of the State’s largest and most intact concentrations of Craftsman Bungalow, Tudor Revival, Neoclassical Revival and Spanish Revival style homes from the 1930s and 1940s. In existence for a century, Wildwood—now Weracoba—Park is the oldest, large-scale daily-use park and recreational facility in Columbus. John Francis Flournoy and Louis F. Garrard’s Columbus Railroad Company built Wildwood Park in 1890 to enhance his surrounding residential development. In 1924, the City purchased the park, a major portion of which became the Columbus High School site. The district also contains the Gothic-style St. Elmo School and Columbus’s first true shopping center, the St. Elmo Shopping Center.
Wildwood Circle-Hillcrest Historic District
The Wildwood Circle-Hillcrest Historic District includes John Francis Flournoy’s 1890 Queen Anne mansion, Hillcrest; a small adjacent suburb of the same name; and the Wildwood Circle subdivision. The Hillcrest subdivision represents a family compound where Flournoy’s children built their homes and later sold inherited properties. The mansion’s former west lawn became lots for Ranch Houses in the early 1950s. South of the family property, Flournoy developed Wildwood Circle. Given its proximity to the trolley line, Flournoy platted it in 1911 as a streetcar suburb with narrow 50-foot lots for bungalows; sales languished until after World War I. The area boomed in the 1920s with many architect-designed houses on larger lots. Ranch Houses filled the area west of Hilton Avenue in the 1940s and 1950s.
Also within this district—at 1519 Stark Avenue—is the childhood home of Carson McCullers (1917-1967), the renowned novelist and playwright. McCullers lived in the house from 1927 to 1934 and returned often to the house from the late 1930s through 1944 to recover from her frequent illnesses. Many of McCullers’ works were conceived, written, or rewritten in the house, including The Heart is a Lonely Hunter and Member of the Wedding. The house now serves as Columbus State University’s McCullers Center for Writers and Musicians.
Wynnton Village Historic District
The Wynnton Village Historic District is an excellent example of an early- to mid-20th-century suburban Georgia neighborhood. Its evolution spans over 150 years— from antebellum estates, to a village center dating from the mid-1800s, to streetcar suburbs after 1890, to numerous subdivisions from 1919 through the 1940s, and then to multi-family dwellings for World War II-era Fort Benning officers. The sale of lots here peaked between 1918 and 1925 with the streetcar line that ran along the district’s southern and eastern boundaries. Architectural styles vary from early examples of Greek and Gothic Revival to popular early 20th century styles including Craftsman, Colonial Revival and English Vernacular Revival.
Wynn’s Hill-Overlook Historic District
The Wynn’s Hill-Overlook Historic District is an outstanding example of an early- to mid-20th-century residential neighborhood developed from several antebellum estates. In 1834, Colonel William L. Wynn purchased one hundred acres of land located on a rise east of downtown Columbus, just beyond the city limits. Wynnton Road was an important thoroughfare that also served as the early property line dividing Wynn’s land from John Woolfolk’s (portions of which were later sold to Dinglewood builder Joel Early Hurt, and others). During the 1920s, a majority of the district was developed by Lloyd G. Bowers, who hired nationally acclaimed landscape architect Earle S. Draper to design a picturesque neighborhood. Draper’s signature style of curvilinear streets and park-like settings can also be seen in the Peacock Woods-Dimon Circle Historic District and in the 1920s expansion of the village at the Bibb Mill (located outside of MidTown). With the incorporation of the larger Wynnton area into the city limits in the mid-1920s, residential construction boomed; a second peak in building occurred in the 1940s. Some of the architectural styles in this district include Greek Revival, Neoclassical Revival, Colonial Revival and Post Modern.
Generously sized and deeply wooded lots along curving streets define the Averett Woods neighborhood. Built largely during the late 1950s and 1960s, the neighborhood is comprised of Colonial Revival and mid-century modern, brick and stone Ranch Houses, many the collaborative work of Columbus architects, builders and owners. Local architect Rozier Dedwylder designed the Averett-Yarbrough House (1959) and collaborated with James C. Rose, a nationally significant modernism landscape architect, to create the garden that melds together “the indoor and outdoor spaces across the hillside site.”
Averett Woods also includes Plumfield, the magnificent 1938 classical-revival house designed by James J. W. Biggers Sr. The original Plumfield grounds of one hundred acres became a small subdivision—Plumfield Estates—in the late 1950s.
The Briarwood neighborhood also includes the Wynnton Circle and Wynnton Terrace subdivisions. By the 1930s, the eastward expansion of the Wynnton suburbs had reached this area, between Lawyer’s Lane and Rigdon Road south of Macon Road. Investors created what are now tree-shaded, winding lanes. On the western side, a portion of H. H. Schomburg’s land became by the 1930s the small Wynnton Circle, with Tudor Revival and brick bungalows. Marshall Morton—who developed property west of Weracoba Park in the 1920s, and served as city manager from 1933 until 1947—joined with J. W. Martin to create the larger Briarwood in four small sections from 1941 until 1950. On the east, H. H. Mayo platted Wynnton Terrace in 1946. The last two subdivisions were Ranch House neighborhoods with Wynnton Terrace featuring many Compact Ranch Houses.
E. E. Farley came to Columbus to direct the Army YMCA during World War II, and became a realtor in 1948. In 1940, he planned and marketed Carver Heights, the first Columbus middle-class subdivision created for African American residents. The hills of the new suburb quickly filled with 1950s Ranch Houses occupied by professionals. Farley’s early death in 1956 probably changed the development of the neighborhood. The subdivision’s name and part of its cachet stemmed from its proximity to the projected Carver High School. Originally an elementary school site, it became a junior high in 1954. Adding a grade each year, it evolved into a senior high. The old school, worn by time, was razed in 2010, and a new, state-of-the-art George Washington Carver High School—a STEM (science, technology, and engineering magnet) school—built on the same site “on the hill,” opened in 2012. Its prominent site and a commitment by school alumni and area residents make the school a catalyst for neighborhood revitalization. Today, a neighborhood improvement association is working with city officials and community organizations to revitalize the area and promote pride in the Carver Heights community.
Tucked between the Country Club of Columbus and Cherokee Avenue, Cherokee Heights is a jewel of Tudor-Revival architecture dates from the 1930s and 1940s. Only 23 lots in size, it contains a few Contemporary-styled infill houses. This neighborhood also includes the Clubview subdivision that straddles Camille Drive west of Hilton Avenue. Developed over a longer period than its neighbor, this small Clubview subdivision—named for its view of the Country Club, not the eponymous school—boasts a range of styles: Craftsman, Colonial Revival, red brick Tudor Revival, and a Ranch House.
East Carver Heights
This neighborhood encompasses three subdivisions: East Carver Heights and Carver Plaza were begun in the early 1960s, and Carriage Estates developed about a decade later. All three contain single-family homes and small apartment complexes. Faced with slow sales, the developers took advantage of President L. B. Johnson’s Great Society programs to build federally subsidized homes, especially along the eastern edge of these suburbs.
This large, diverse, and historically significant neighborhood of East Highlands anchors MidTown’s northwest corner, south of Talbotton Road and the Fall Line Trace, and adjacent to the Columbus Regional Health Care System complex.
At the turn of the 20th century, the East Highlands name encompassed all the “new and modern” suburban development east of Columbus. In 1887 John F. Flournoy and Louis F. Garrard, both Wynnton natives, bought the Columbus Railroad Company and formed the Muscogee Real Estate Company. Those firms created the 45-acre Wildwood Park and laid-out 250 acres of lots that started at 10th Avenue and Linwood Boulevard, extended northward almost to Warm Springs Road, continued eastward through the new park, and turned southward, straddling the streetcar line to Wynnton Road. West of the park was labeled the First Addition of East Highlands, but lots there sold slowly. Thus, the name Second Addition of East Highlands, east of the park, was discarded and that area gradually developed using smaller subdivisions.
Today’s East Highlands is the original First Addition and its diverse architectural styles reveal its slow development. Most blocks have houses from different decades. Generally the older Victorian style houses tend to be closer to the western and southern boundaries, with 1920s Craftsman style homes more prevalent to the east and north. Brick bungalows from the 1930s and 1940s are concentrated toward the east. Shotgun houses for workers tended to be built toward the north with a large concentration of them in Bonny Doon on the northeast corner of the neighborhood. Modern additions include the Pastoral Institute’s campus that occupies the site of Hillhouse—a late 19th-century house occupied by the Anne Elizabeth Shepherd Home.
East Wynnton/Wynnton Hill
The larger East Wynnton community reaches from Macon Road to Buena Vista Road, and generally from Brown Avenue to Illges Road. It consists of numerous small subdivisions developed during the 1920s, 1930s and 1940s. Two smaller districts have been declared eligible for listing on the National Register: East Wynnton (the northeast corner of the larger neighborhood) and Wynnton Hill (the southeast corner). East Wynnton showcases a range of architectural styles including Craftsman, English Vernacular Revival, Colonial Revival, Dutch Colonial Revival and Minimal Traditional. Wynnton Hill is a neighborhood of shotgun and bungalow houses built between 1915 and 1940. The Wynnton Hill Baptist Church—organized in 1872 with its present building dating to 1930—serves as an anchor for this neighborhood, which is being revitalized through the rehabilitation of existing homes and construction of new single-family houses.
The larger Garrard Woods neighborhood encompasses the original Garrard family land including the Wildwood House site on Wildwood Circle. Louis F. Garrard, as a partner of John Flournoy, helped create Wildwood Park and assemble land for the original suburbs surrounding the park. The smaller Garrard Woods subdivision between the Country Club of Columbus and Springdale Drive was developed in the 1950s and 1960s. It includes upscale Rambling Ranch Houses, mid-century modern and Contemporary Style homes, many designed by Columbus architect Gardiner W. Garrard. Today, Garrard Woods’ distinctive homes feature large lots and mature landscapes and one of the city’s newest, upscale residential developments.
Hilton Heights/Clubview Heights
Charlie Frank Williams constructed his Colonial Revival house in 1938 on Hilton Avenue across from the Country Club of Columbus, and began developing Clubview Heights in the early 1940s. Brick bungalows displaying Tudor and classical details along the eastern end of Camille Drive date from that period. When the U.S. entered World War II, Williams turned his attention to building hundreds of barracks at Fort Benning. After the war, Williams built upscale homes here along streets named for his family members. The neighboring and larger subdivision to the south, Hilton Heights, created in 1949 by George Trussell and Hugh & Clara McMath, began along Hilton Avenue and after nine years and five additions reached the Lindsay Creek by-pass and the Cross County Plaza. Its initial houses tended to be red brick Linear Ranch Houses. As development moved eastward, both houses and lots became larger and by the 1960s included split-levels, mid-century moderns and Contemporary styles. These subdivisions remain a vibrant neighborhood with new owners continuously updating, renovating and rebuilding homes.
The Hilton Terrace Baptist Church anchors this small neighborhood of Ranch Houses adjacent to Hilton Avenue and Warm Springs Road. Three developers created this suburb over ten years—T. W. Gurley (1949), W. L. Alford (1951), and C. B. Hewitt (1959). Its curved streets display a variety of Ranch House styles including Linear, Compact, Courtyard (L-shaped) and a few with Colonial revival details.
Hilton Woods/Hilton Heights Park
Hilton Heights Park and Hilton Woods are 1960s Ranch House neighborhoods that developed with the opening of Clubview Elementary, Richards Middle and Hardaway High Schools and the rapid growth of Columbus State University’s main campus. These neighborhoods flourish today in their easy proximity to schools, shopping and medical care.
Historic Linwood and Historic Boogerville
The area between 10th Avenue on the west, Linwood Boulevard on the north, 13th Avenue on the east, and 13th Street on the south had two separate identities, both representative of Columbus history. In the antebellum period, early suburban residents built large estates just beyond the city overlooking the unoccupied East Commons. One Greek revival home, Victorian houses and Craftsman bungalows still survive on streets in the northern portion. In the southern portion, by the early 1900s, shotgun structures housed over a hundred white families who worked in adjacent textile mills, lumberyards, and railroad shops. They called their neighborhood Boogerville. It originally extended southward to the area around Bradley Manufacturing at the corner of Wynnton Road and 10th Avenue. The Linwood (later Edwina Wood) School and the Linwood (now Tillis) playground were sites that fostered a sense of community within Boogerville. The park and the Stewart Community Home (at the old school site) continue to be important institutions amidst the area’s businesses and light industrial operations. Today, former residents come together at annual Boogerville Reunions.
Lindsey Creek Park-Boxwood Estates
Capitalizing on the continuing post-World War II suburban boom, Columbus Enterprise, Inc. began Lindsay Creek Park in 1952 as a middle-class neighborhood, and Ranch Houses soon filled its lots. To the east of Lindsay Creek Park in the mid-1960s, Ray Wright created the smaller Boxwood Estates. Its appearance resembled that of its neighbor. Also part of this area is Emerald Forest, which Ray Wright created in the mid-1980s. Its substantial middle-class homes occupy fifty-seven lots, arranged around four cul-de-sacs. This entire neighborhood enjoys a location convenient to regional shopping centers and a growing civic and education complex that includes the Columbus Public Library, the Muscogee County Public Education Center, the City Services Center and City Natatorium.
The Radcliff neighborhood—situated between Buena Vista Road and Martin Luther King Jr. Boulevard—consists primary of 1920s to 1940s Craftsman bungalows, some shotgun houses, and numerous churches, an indication of a viable community. Its core area, the Radcliff subdivision, shared its name with important institutions. Radcliff School—originally know as the Wynnton Hill School—burned in 1929 and was rebuilt on Radcliff Avenue. The new Radcliff School continued as an elementary school, then became the first county-operated African American junior high in 1940, and a county black senior high in 1944. The school burned in 1971, though an alumni group—the Radcliffonians—keeps the school’s memory alive. Contiguous to the school site is the Radcliff Cemetery. Originally know as the Wynnton Hill cemetery, it holds about 287 burials, twenty-six of whom are veterans of World War I, World War II, and the Korean Conflict. Carter’s Monumental CME Church maintains the cemetery. Recent revitalization efforts and construction of new single family homes in the Radcliff community have been undertaken by NeighborWorks and the Columbus Area Habitat for Humanity.
The Shepherd Place neighborhood, northeast of the intersection of Martin Luther King Jr. Boulevard and Brown Avenue, derives its name from the antebellum estate of Edward Shepherd, a planter who farmed hundreds of acres south of Columbus. By 1900 housing in the southern portion of this area resembled the Bottoms with scores of shotgun homes built tightly together. Beginning in the 1960s, redevelopment produced the E. E. Farley Homes and three educational facilities—J.D. Davis Elementary School, Marshall Junior High and the MCSD’s Columbus Roberts Support Center. The northern portion of the neighborhood contains Moye Place, a 44-lot subdivision developed by the Jordan Company beginning in 1946. Most houses along the tree-lined streets are minimal Tudor Revival brick bungalows with a few Ranch Houses.
Wynnton Grove/Wynnton Dell
In the late 1940s, A.G. Wells began developing Wynnton Grove on fifty-two wooded acres. The neighborhood of mid-century homes grew up around a few Victorian clapboard houses, including Colonel Freeman’s farmhouse built in 1841 on what is now Preston Drive. The development of Wells Drive began in 1946, followed by Preston Drive in 1950, and Iris Drive in 1953. To the east, real estate developer W. G. Salter platted Wynnton Dell in three sections (1948 and two additions in 1952) along Iris, Dell, and Marilon Drives. In general, its houses were built later than those in Wynnton Grove. The Wynnton Grove/Dell neighborhood today offers convenient access to the Columbus Public Library, the growing civic and educational complex on Macon Road, and shopping at Cross Country Plaza and the MidTown Shopping Center.
James W. Woodruff Sr. built his secluded Tudor revival mansion on family property in 1923, and started a subdivision there in 1926. Woodcrest comprises fifty lots of various sizes on three streets: Carter Avenue, Stark Avenue and Woodcrest Drive. Contemporary descriptions touted its sidewalks, proximity to “the new Columbus high school,” “paved roads to the Wynnton grammar school,” and its “wealth of trees.” A few houses date from the 1920s, with more Tudor revivals in the 1930s and 1940s. After World War II, Barnett Woodruff slowly developed the area, which continued to gain new houses as late the 1990s. The neighborhood is still characterized by its mature trees (“Shady Oaks That Would Take a Life to Grow”), Craftsman-style bungalow houses, and walkable streets.
- Dinglewood Historic District
- Peacock Woods-Dimon Circle Historic District
- Weracoba-St. Elmo Historic District
- Wildwood Circle-Hillcrest Historic District
- Wynnton Village Historic District
- Wynn’s Hill-Overlook Historic District
- Averett Woods
- Carver Heights
- Cherokee Heights
- East Carver Heights
- East Highlands
- East Wynnton/Wynnton Hill
- Garrard Woods
- Hilton Heights/Clubview Heights
- Hilton Terrace
- Hilton Woods/Hilton Heights Park
- The Historic Bottoms and Meeler’s Hill
- Historic Linwood and Historic Boogerville
- Lindsey Creek Park-Boxwood Estates
- Shepherd Place
- Wynnton Grove/Wynnton Dell
MidTown, Inc. hosts an annual holiday gathering of Neighborhood Association leadership, providing an opportunity to build community among neighborhoods, and for leaders to share challenges and successes with one another. We offer periodic programs to address issues of concern or interest to MidTown residents, and maintain a contact list of Association leaders to notify residents of timely information.
For more information about leadership in your neighborhood, or information about starting a new neighborhood association, contact MidTown, Inc. at 706.494.1663.